Purple Tuesday – 3rd November 2020
Swan Walk Shopping Centre is proud to join retailers across the nation in marking Purple Tuesday, the UK’s fourth accessible shopping day.
Purple Tuesday is a campaign to promote awareness about disabled customers, highlight the difficulties existing disabled shoppers face and measures that can be put in place to overcome them.
- Swan Walk is a Purple Member
- We have achieved Disability Confident Level 1 status
- Our staff are Dementia Friends trained
- Our new Changing Places Facility opened in March 2019
- Swan Walk is a key partner in the Horsham Our Town initiative highlighting safe havens and points of contact for our more vulnerable customers and works closely with The Butterfly Project who will be in the centre on Purple Tuesday this year.
- There is no mall music in the centre, creating a less stressful environment for customers with noise sensitivity
- Space is given whenever possible to local community groups and charities to raise awareness of their causes
- The centre has a Mental Health First Aider on site
- Two new Accessible toilets opened in 2019
Our commitments for the next 12 months are:
- Training to move centre to Disability Confident Level 2 accreditation to commence
- 2021 Purple Tuesday event planning to involve charities, retailers and the local community of social distancing allows
These are just the start!
Beyond the 3rd November awareness day, Swan Walk will continue to work with Purple to deliver our commitments made, including customer service training and providing support to increase accessibility of websites and other online technology. Wider support includes physical access audits, improved signage and increasing the involvement of disabled mystery shoppers.
Resources for organisations and individuals wishing to get involved with Purple Tuesday are available for download at purpletuesday.org.uk.